SSH is a secure way to connect to your hosting package that offers more options than a regular FTP connection. In this article we explain how to connect via your computer by using Putty (Windows) or Terminal (Mac OS X).
Also read: Make an SSH connection with an SSH key
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Step 1: Search for the command in the control panel
Follow these steps in the control panel:
- Go to “My products”> “Web hosting”> Your domain name.
- In the menu on the left you choose “SSH”.
- Switch on “Activate SSH” so that you can connect.
- You will now see the data to connect to Windows and Mac/Linux (see image).
Step 2: Run the command on your computer
Now that you have the command, you must enter it on your computer to connect via SSH.
Follow these steps on your Windows computer:
- Download and install Putty on your computer.
- Open Putty and click on “Session” in the menu on the left.
- Enter the command from the control panel and click on “Open” (see image).
- Enter the password of your primary FTP user. You will then be connected to your web hosting.
Follow these steps In MacOS:
- Open “Terminal” and enter the command from the control panel.
- Terminal will ask to connect. Type “yes” and confirm with enter.
- Enter the password of your primary FTP user. You are connected to your web hosting.